Saturday, August 30, 2008

Family Game Night

The other night while I was reading Camden his "night-night" books he took the book and started reading it to me. I figured it was because he has heard the book 15 million times, so I pulled a book off the shelf that he has not heard before. The little stinker starts reading all the sight words: it, I , the , is, in, you, car, with. I couldn't believe it. He has always been really smart, so I can't say I was truly surprised. The past few months I have been real careful about what I teach him. I really don't want him to be bored in kindergarten next year so I have not really put to much attention on letters or words. I guess it goes to show that some kids can learn to read on their own once they know their letters and sounds.

It has truly hit me this year how smart that little kiddo is. I have been testing the kindergartners in my building all week and not one kindergartner in the entire school so far has known every letter AND every sound. A few have came really close, but missed a sound or two. Just out of curiosity, I took the test home and gave it to Camden. PERFECT SCORE!!! He is not supposed to go to kindergarten for another year and even at that he will be one of the youngest in his class. I feel so sorry for his teacher next year. Actually, it is a good thing he is smart because I have a feeling he is going to be a stinker in the behavior department!!!

I decided that he is smart enough to handle playing some games I play with my kindergartners at school, so last night we had our first official "Family Game Night." We played ABC BINGO and had a really great time!!! Camden would get so excited when he got a bingo that he would scream and jump up and down! He wanted to play over and over again. I think we played that game 8 times:) It is definitely something we do again soon. Next week, I think we will play a sight word matching game.

1 comment:

Sharon Harlow said...

Camden - I am so proud of you and I know you will do just fine in school next year. Keep up the good work. Love, Grandma