Thursday, August 14, 2008

On Top of the World


I have to say, I am loving this school year so far. The past two years have been very hard for reasons that I will not go into, but man, after our faculty meeting yesterday, I feel like I am on top of the world. I actually have meeting dates set for the entire school year. Actually, I have more dates than I have had time to put on my calendar yet!!!! Those of you that really know me, know how much of a planner and organizer I am. The past two years, I have been living literally from week to week as far as my school calendar went and living that way brought on a ton of unneeded stress! In addition to the organization, I have been asked to be a big part of the PD of our building. I feel like I will finally have an opportunity to do my job as a literacy coach instead of just being the "reading teacher." The leadership, the staff, even some of the kids I have met so far are fantastic!

I have been working non-stop in my new room setting it up. I have to say it looks amazing (is that being to modest??) I am a really big believer in making the environment conductive to learning. Who wants to learn to read sitting in a hard chair at a hard table. I have comfy chairs and a beautiful rug. I rarely turn on the lights, but have lamps all over the place. I can't wait to start seeing kids.

Today we had our district teacher orientation. I received my 5 year service pin. I can't believe I have been teaching in Blue Springs for 5 years. I saw all my favorite teachers that I taught with last year and it made me a little sad that I had to leave them behind, but this year is going to be great!!!

2 comments:

The Ray Family Blog said...

I'm so happy for you! Sounds like it's going to be an amazing school year for you! Congrats on your 5 year pin. Man... wonder what it feels like to be somewhere for 5 years! ha ha. I wish I could be a kid in your class! i would love comfy chairs and lamps!
here's to a great year ahead!

Sharon Harlow said...

It sounds like you are enjoying your new school. I would say your students are very lucky to have a teacher like you. Keep it up Tara. Congratulations on 5 years !!!!!